Two Civilians Injured in Government Attack on UN Juba Base

Juba
Juba

By Radio Tamazuj:

A young man and a woman were wounded in a random shooting on the UN base in Juba, when government soldiers targeted unarmed civilians at the UN PoC 3 on Sunday afternoon, an eyewitness said.

Rev. Mathew Dhol, a displaced person inside the UN camp, told Radio Tamazuj that government soldiers came and started shooting at displaced families inside the UN PoC 3 at the Jebel Checkpoint on Sunday afternoon.

“The situation is still difficult, the soldiers came and started shooting at anybody inside the camp, they wanted to harm the people inside the camp,” he said.

He pointed out that the incident resulted in the wounding of at least two people including a woman. “A woman was shot in the leg, and there is a young man who is 19 years old who was also shot inside the camp, they were with us in the camp, we didn’t know the reason,” he explained.

The religious leader revealed that the two wounded displaced were taken to hospital for treatment. He added that the incident took place after the camp was opened so citizens could fetch water.

Last week, heavy shooting was heard around 5:00 am at the Jebel Checkpoint area near the UN camp in Juba. Reportedly, displaced women were not allowed to leave the camp and that water suppliers also stopped to take water to the area due to insecurity.

The government accuses the United Nations of harbouring armed elements inside its camps.


This article is republished courtesy of Radio Tamazuj, a daily news service and current affairs broadcaster covering South Sudan, the southern states of Sudan, and the borderlands between the two countries.

Be the first to comment on "Two Civilians Injured in Government Attack on UN Juba Base"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*